Safe At Home
Wisconsin's Address Confidentiality Program
Safe at Home is a statewide address confidentiality program that provides victims of actual or threatened domestic abuse, child abuse, sexual abuse, stalking, and trafficking, or those who simply fear for their physical safety with a legal substitute address to be used for both public and private purposes. Enrollment in Safe at Home allows participants to use and receive mail at an assigned address in lieu of their actual address. Safe at Home then forwards mail from the assigned address to participants’ actual addresses free of charge.
The intent of Safe at Home is for those who fear for their safety to be able to maintain a private, confidential home, work, or school address and gain some peace of mind. Safe at Home is one of many tools that an individual can choose as part of their overall safety plan.
Safe at Home is governed by Wis. Stat. § 165.68, which may be found at https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/165/68.
A person is eligible to participate in Safe at Home if he or she attests ALL of the following:
- That he or she is a resident of Wisconsin.
- That at least one of the following applies:
- He or she is a victim of an act or threat of abuse, a parent or guardian of a person who is a victim of an act or threat of abuse, or a resident of a household in which a victim of an act or threat of abuse also resides.
- He or she fears for his or her physical safety or for the physical safety of his or her child or ward.
- That he or she resides or will reside at a location in Wisconsin that is not known by the person who committed the abuse against, or who threatens, the applicant or his or her child or ward.
- That he or she will not disclose his or her actual address to the person who committed the abuse against, or who threatens, the applicant or his or her child or ward.
Individuals intending to enroll in Safe at Home must first participate in safety planning with an Application Assistant. Application Assistants are trained victim service providers and advocates designated by Safe at Home to provide education about meaningful participation in the program and safety planning services. After an individual creates a safety plan with a designated Application Assistant, they may complete an application to enroll themselves and/or their child/ward in Safe at Home. Please contact Safe at Home directly to find a designated Application Assistant in your area or find a list of agencies with designated Application Assistants here.
To enroll, please download and complete a Safe at Home Application.
Completed applications may be faxed to our secure fax at (608) 261-8660.
If you have any questions regarding Safe at Home, please contact us directly at (608) 266-6613 or
(Note: for security reasons, please do not put any address or otherwise sensitive information in your email inquiry).