Crime Victims Rights Board
* CVRB Meeting Notices *
Overview of the Wisconsin Crime Victims Rights Board
- Review complaints regarding possible violations of the rights of crime victims by public officials, employees or agencies.
- Issue written probable cause determinations as to whether violations probably were or are being committed as alleged in complaints.
- After findings of probable cause, conduct investigations and/or hold evidentiary hearings, as needed, to determine whether violations occurred.
- Issue written final decisions concerning reviewed cases. (Judicial review of a CVRB final decision is governed by Wis. Stats. ss. 227.52 to 227.59.)
- Issue sanctions for violations of Wis. Stat. Chapters 950 and 938 and Article I, Section 9m of the Wisconsin Constitution.
- Issue reports and recommendations concerning the securing and provision of victims' rights and services.
By law, the actions of the CVRB are not subject to review or approval of the attorney general. The CVRB operates with a limited administrative attachment to the Department of Justice, meaning DOJ personnel are assigned to assist the Board in carrying out its duties:
- Julie Braun, Director: The CVRB Director is responsible for the executive management functions of the CVRB and ensuring that procedures protect the interests of all parties involved in a formal review. The director is the CVRB's designee to conduct investigations pursuant to Wis. Admin. Code CVRB 1.03 and 1.06 and serves as the CVRB public information officer, records official, and liaison to appointing authorities.
- Amy Ulrich, CVRB Executive Assistant: The CVRB Executive Assistant provides confidential executive administrative assistance to support the operations of the CVRB.
- Assistant Attorney General Karla Keckhaver, CVRB Legal Counsel
For more information about CVRB operations:
- CVRB General Brochure
- CVRB Evidentiary Hearings: FAQs
- WisconsinEye Program About the CVRB Process: Legally Speaking - Crime Victims' Rights Board
- Correspondence for the CVRB can be mailed to:
CVRB Operations Director
Wisconsin Department of Justice
17 West Main Street
Madison, WI 53707
Sanctions & Remedies
Based on its review of a complaint the CVRB may do any of the following:
- Issue private and public reprimands of public officials, employees or agencies that violate the rights of crime victims provided under Wis. Stat. Chapters 950 and 938 and Article I, Section 9m of the Wisconsin Constitution.
- Refer to the Judicial Commission a violation or alleged violation by a judge of the rights of crime victims provided under Wis. Stat. Chapters 950 and 938 and Article I, Section 9m of the Wisconsin Constitution.
- Seek equitable relief on behalf of a victim if such relief is necessary to protect the rights of the victim. (The CVRB may not seek to appeal, reverse or modify a judgment of conviction or sentence in a criminal case.)
- Bring civil actions to assess a forfeiture under s. 950.11 for an intentional violation. (Forfeiture monies are distributed to the state Common School Fund.)
Reports & Recommendations Concerning Rights & Services
In addition to its authority to review complaints, the Board may issue reports and recommendations concerning the securing and provision of crime victim rights and services.
The Board consists of five members who are appointed for 4-year terms by the following appointing authorities:
|Appointee||Appointing Authority||Seat Held||Term Expires|
|Attorney General||County Provider of Victim/Witness Services||May 1, 2023|
Tania M. Bonnett
|WI District Attorney's Association||District Attorney||May 1, 2021|
|Amy Severt||Wisconsin Crime Victims Council||Citizen||May 1, 2024|
|Governor||Citizen||May 1, 2023|
Sheriff Paul Susienka
|Attorney General||Local Law Enforcement||May 1, 2021|
Links to Wisconsin Victims Rights Law
Consultation With and Notices to Victim: 971.095
Crime Victim Compensation : Wis. Stat. Chapter 949
Exclusion of Witnesses: 906.15
Inquiry Before a Plea 971.08(1)(d)
Inquiry upon dismissal 971.315
Pre-sentence investigation 972.15