What is Restitution?

If you report a crime and the offender is found guilty, the court may order the offender to make restitution; that is, to pay for the cost of certain expenses you incur because of the crime, such as injuries, damages or stolen property.  If charges are issued, you will be contacted by victim/witness services for restitution information.  Please retain itemized lists of losses and estimates or receipts showing expenses related to the crime (such as time missed at work, medical bills, etc.)  It may also be helpful to retain insurance, medical assistance or worker's compensation information.  You may be required to provide this information to support your restitution request.


Restitution is ordered after conviction by a judge.  It is collected from offenders by different agencies depending on whether the offender is put in prison, is on probation or parole or if the offender was not, or is no longer, under the supervision of the Department of Corrections (DOC).  For matters related to offenders under the supervision of the DOC, contact the DOC Office of Victim Services & Programs with questions about the status of restitution.