Sexual Assault Forensic Exam
TheWI SAFE Fund can reimburse health care providers for the cost of a forensic medical exam for victims of sexual assault.
The SAFE Fund can reimburse medical providers when a victim:
- Does not wish to report the crime to law enforcement
- Does not wish to cooperate with law enforcement
- Does not wish to submit the bill to insurance provider
- Does not wish to submit bill or any portion of bill to other available payer source (i.e. patient, guarantor, guardian, etc.)
- Victim and/or guardian does not have insurance
The Fund may be able to pay for the sexual assault forensic exam, evaluation, testing and medications related to the assault. The fund cannot cover the cost of medical treatment or follow up evaluations.
- It is the responsibility of the health care provider to request reimbursement from the SAFE Fund.
- The medical provider must submit a Request for Payment form and an itemized bill to the Department of Justice.
- Reimbursement will be made directly to the health care provider.
The health care provider may not bill the victim or the family of the victim for the cost of a SANE exam.
Should a victim receive a bill for a SANE exam, they must contact the health care provider immediately and ask them to submit the bill to the SAFE Fund.
Questions can be directed to:
Courtney Watson, Grants Specialist
(608) 267-9340 or (800) 446-6564
WI SAFE Fund
PO Box 7951
Madison, WI 53707-7951