Update: Officer Involved Death Investigation in Wausau
WAUSAU, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) is investigating an officer involved death (OID) in Wausau, Wis. that occurred on the evening of Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Law enforcement from Wausau Police Department and Marathon County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of Artic Lane and North 12th Avenue for a report of a subject attempting to steal vehicles. Law enforcement identified and confronted the subject, Jack Bolinger, age 35.
Involved officers include:
- Wausau Police Officer Shawn Pierschalla, 13 years of law enforcement experience
- Wausau Police Officer Benjamin Price, 4 years of law enforcement experience
- Wausau Police Officer Michael Horejs, 3 years of law enforcement experience
- Marathon County Patrol Lieutenant Steven Denovi, 19 years of law enforcement experience
- Marathon County Deputy Sheriff James Toth, 23 years of law enforcement experience
- Marathon County Deputy Sheriff Brandon Stroik, 11 years of law enforcement experience
During the incident Bolinger fired at law enforcement and a citizen’s occupied vehicle. Law enforcement returned fire and Bolinger fell to the ground and remained armed. Bolinger did not comply with continued orders from law enforcement and pointed the firearm at law enforcement. Law enforcement fired at Bolinger again. Bolinger succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
No law enforcement personnel or other individuals were injured during the incident.
The involved officers from Wausau Police Department and Marathon County Sheriff’s Office have been placed on administrative leave, per department policy.
DCI is leading this investigation and is assisted by the Wisconsin State Crime Lab, Wisconsin State Patrol, Marathon County Medical Examiner, and DOJ Office of Crime Victim Services. All involved law enforcement are fully cooperating with DCI during this investigation.
DCI is continuing to review evidence and determine the facts of this incident and will turn over investigative reports to the Marathon County District Attorney when the investigation concludes.
No additional details are currently available.
Please direct all media inquiries regarding this incident to DOJ.