Grants Guidance and Resources
Common Grant Terms
Federal Formula grant
Federal formula grant programs allocate blocks of money to Wisconsin DOJ, which designs subgrant programs in accordance with statewide plans and advisory committee input. Formula grants are an efficient and effective way for the federal government to implement broad policy directives while giving states the flexibility to design their own sub grant programs—within the funding sources’ eligible uses—that fit each state’s unique structure, needs, and priorities.
Often states may be able to leverage federal formula dollars—sometimes in combination with other federal sources or state funds—to implement statewide initiatives that fall within the parameters of the federal grant, fund demonstration projects that may serve as models and replicated if successful, and address specific needs of grantees (victim service agencies, law enforcement, public safety agencies, prosecutors, other state criminal justice agencies).
Federal Discretionary Grant
Federal discretionary grant programs have a defined topical focus, usually have a specific purpose for which funds must be spent, and are administered by federal agencies. Wisconsin DOJ applies for discretionary grants on behalf of the state, manages those funds, and complies with federal reporting requirements on behalf of the grant recipient (often the full award is passed to another state agency or entity, on occasion discretionary awards result in competitive opportunities for local applicants).
Grant programs where the funding source is state money rather than federal.
Federal statute, administrative rules, and/or grant guidance may require statewide plans that identify and prioritize state needs, and/or detail how federal money will be spent, and how funding decisions will be made. The state’s plans (often developed with advisory groups) are generally submitted to the federal agency overseeing the program. Funding decisions are generally required to be within the parameters of the state’s existing plan. Statewide plans are required for federal formula grant programs.
Federal grant reporting requirements
Federal grant conditions can require a variety of reporting requirements including annual (or more frequent) performance reports, and quarterly fiscal reports. Wisconsin DOJ completes required reporting to the appropriate federal agency on behalf of the state. The Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA), Public Law 10362, requires that recipients of federal grant awards collect, analyze, and report data that measure the results of strategies implemented with federal funds.
Competitive grant opportunities for local applicants: Federal Criminal Justice grant programs
Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) formula grant
JAG funds are spent according to a four-year statewide strategic plan which outlines statewide criminal justice priorities into which future allocations of Byrne JAG funding will be invested. 40% of Wisconsin’s total JAG allocation is directly awarded to eligible units of local government based on a federal formula. The remaining 60% is called the “state’s share. Approximately 60% of the “state’s share” is awarded to local grantees through sub grant programs created by Wisconsin DOJ which implement the statewide strategic plan. The remaining 40% of the “state’s share” is used for statewide initiatives.
Federal Juvenile Justice grant programs
Juvenile Accountability Block Grant (JABG)
Federal funds are allocated to Wisconsin DOJ as block grants for state and local government programs to promote greater accountability in the juvenile justice system. JABG funds can be used to provide judges, probation officers, case managers and other juvenile justice professionals a range of graduated sanctions – including restitution, community service, victim-offender mediation and other restorative justice methods – that effectively hold youth accountable for their behavior in age- and developmentally-appropriate ways. The Governor’s Juvenile Justice Commission provides input for the development of the statewide strategic plan and advises Wisconsin DOJ on funding decisions for juvenile justice grant programs.
Title II State Formula Grant Program
Federal formula grant administered by Wisconsin DOJ that supports innovative efforts at the state and local levels to adhere to standards that reduce the risk of harm to court-involved youth, ensure fair treatment of minority youth, and improve the way systems address delinquent behavior. Funds are spent in accordance with a three-year statewide strategic plan. The Governor’s Juvenile Justice Commission provides input for the development of the statewide strategic plan and advises Wisconsin DOJ on funding decisions for juvenile justice grant programs.
Violence Against Women Act grant programs
Services, Training, Officers and Prosecutors (STOP) federal formula grant program
The STOP formula grant encourages the development and improvement of effective law enforcement and prosecution strategies to address violent crimes against women and the development and improvement of advocacy and services in cases involving violent crimes against women. Under federal law, states are required to have a three-implementation plan for investment of formula grant funds that reflects a multi-faceted planning process. Wisconsin DOJ’s VAWA Advisory Committee provide the agency with strategic direction, needs assessments, and assistance with development of the state’s plan.
Sexual Assault Service Providers (SASP) federal formula grant program
SASP is the first federal funding stream solely dedicated to provide intervention, advocacy, accompaniment, support services, and related assistance for adult, youth, and child victims of sexual assault, family and household members of victims, and those collaterally affected by the sexual assault. Wisconsin DOJ’s VAWA Advisory Committee advises the agency on allocation of funds.
State criminal justice grants
Treatment Alternatives and Diversion (TAD)
Wisconsin DOJ administers the Treatment Alternative and Diversion (TAD) grant program. Wis. Stats. 16.964(12) outlines the requirements for TAD projects—which include using evidence-based practices, providing comprehensive and holistic treatment, and using graduated sanctions and incentives.