Division of Forensic Sciences
The Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory Bureau (WSCLB) was established on August 8, 1947 when Chapter 165 of the Wisconsin Statutes was approved and published. The first Laboratory Superintendent, Charles M. Wilson, was hired to establish a laboratory in the Capitol Building in Madison. Shortly thereafter, the Madison Laboratory was relocated. A second full-service laboratory was opened in 1974 in New Berlin to serve the eight county Milwaukee metropolitan areas. And finally, in 1991, the Madison service area was reorganized further with the development of the limited services laboratory in Wausau to provide service to the forty northern counties of Wisconsin. Today the WSCLB employs approximately 160 management, forensic scientists, and technicians and supports 72 counties.
Madison Laboratory Milwaukee Laboratory Wausau Laboratory
|Madison Laboratory||Milwaukee Laboratory||Wausau Laboratory|
|4626 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53705
|1578 South 11th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53204
|7100 West Stewart Ave.
Wausau, WI 54401
The Wisconsin State Crime Laboratories are accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2017 by ANAB (ANSI National Accreditation Board). Accreditation is a voluntary program which ensures that the laboratory provides effective and quality service. Further, it means that the laboratory is operating under accepted guidelines that are practiced internationally and routinely and vigorously reviewed. The current accreditation was granted in May 2019.
Current opportunities and information about employement with the Department of Justice can be found here.