If Victim Rights are Violated

What remedies are available if victim rights are violated?

If victims or witnesses are concerned about their victim or witness rights and are unable to resolve the situation, they can contact the Victim Resource Center (VRC) for help.


When the VRC is notified of an alleged victim/witness rights violation, our staff work with the parties involved to reach a resolution.  This is known as informal mediation.


Once the informal mediation process is complete, a victim has the right to file a formal complaint with the Crime Victim Rights Board (CVRB). The CVRB is an independent body established by the Wisconsin legislature in 1998.  Learn more about the CVRB and the formal complaint process (PDF).